Topic: Climate Action Summit
Topic in Syllabus: Ecology and Environment
At the 74th session of the United Nations (UN) General Assembly, the Prime Minister of India addressed the United Nations (UN) Climate Action Summit as well as the Universal Health Coverage meeting, held in New York on 23rd September, 2019.
Climate Action Summit
- It was hosted by the UN Secretary.
- It had the key focus on raising ambition and accelerate action to implement the Paris Agreement.
- Renewable Energy:India will increase renewable energy capacity to beyond 175 GW (capacity as committed under the Paris Climate Agreement) by 2022.
- Water Conservation:Spend approximately $50 billion in the next few years on the Jal Jeevan Mission to conserve water, harvest rainwater and develop water resources.
- International Solar Alliance:Almost 80 countries have joined this India led initiative.
Two International Initiatives:
- Leadership Group:India and Sweden together with other countries have announced a new ‘Leadership Group for Industry Transition’ that will drive transformation in hard-to-decarbonize and energy-intensive sectors.
- Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI):An international partnership that will support countries- developed and developing- to build climate and disaster resilient infrastructure.
The Coalition’s secretariat, based in Delhi, will facilitate knowledge exchange, provide technical support and support capacity building.
The Government of India, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) and partners have together worked on the CDRI initiative in response to the Prime Minister of India’s call for action to reduce damage to critical infrastructure at the Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction in 2016.
Which statement/s is/are true about National Solar Mission?
- A goal of increasing production of Photovoltaics to 1000 MW/year.
- Increase the use of solar thermal technologies in urban areas, industry, and commercial establishments.
- A goal of deploying at least 1500 MW of solar thermal power generation.
Choose the Correct Answer:
A. Only 1,2
B. Only 2,3
D. None of these